Peter S. Carmichael, University of North Carolina at Greensboro
Michele Gillespie, Wake Forest University
William A. Link, University of Florida
Becoming Bourgeois: Merchant Culture
in the South, 1820–1865
by Frank J. Byrne
The View from the Ground:
Experiences of Civil War Soldiers
Edited by Aaron Sheehan-Dean
- Publication of this volume was made possible in part by a grant
- from the National Endowment for the Humanities.
- Copyright © 2006 by The University Press of Kentucky
- Scholarly publisher for the Commonwealth,
- serving Bellarmine University, Berea College, Centre
- College of Kentucky, Eastern Kentucky University,
- The Filson Historical Society, Georgetown College,
- Kentucky Historical Society, Kentucky State University,
- Morehead State University, Murray State University,
- Northern Kentucky University, Transylvania University,
- University of Kentucky, University of Louisville,
- and Western Kentucky University.
- All rights reserved.
- Editorial and Sales Offices: The University Press of Kentucky
- 663 South Limestone Street, Lexington, Kentucky 40508-4008
- 06 07 08 09 10 5 4 3 2 1
- Library of Congress Cataloging-in-Publication Data
- Walker, Melissa, 1962-
- Southern farmers and their stories : memory and meaning in oral history / Melissa Walker.
- p. cm. — (New directions in southern history)
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- ISBN-13: 978-0-8131-2409-4 (hardcover : alk. paper)
- ISBN-10: 0-8131-2409-3 (hardcover : alk. paper)
- 1. Southern States—Social life and customs—20th century—Historiography.
- 2. Farm life—Southern States—History—20th century—Historiography.
- 3. Southern States—Rural conditions—Historiography.
- 4. Farmers—Southern States—Interviews. 5. Oral history.
- 6. Memory—Social aspects—Southern States.
- 7. Interviews—Southern States. 8. Southern States—Biography.
- I. Title. II. Series.
- F208.2.W35 2006
- This book is printed on acid-free recycled paper meeting
- the requirements of the American National Standard
- for Permanence in Paper for Printed Library Materials.
- Manufactured in the United States of America.