- Title Pages
- 1 Planting the Seed: Charles Sumner and John Quincy Adams
- 2 The Supreme Court on Private Property and War
- 3 Criminal Conspiracy or War?
- 4 The Union Applies the Law of War
- 5 The Law as a Weapon
- 6 Congress Acts and the Confederacy Responds
- 7 Military Necessity and Lincoln’s Concept of the War
- 8 The Proclamation as a Weapon of War
- 9 The Conkling Letter
- 10 A Radical Recognition of Freedom
- Appendix A First Confiscation Act, August 6, 1861
- Appendix B Browning–Lincoln Correspondence, September 1861
- Appendix C Second Confiscation Act, July 17, 1862
- Appendix D Emancipation Proclamation, First Draft, July 22, 1862
- Appendix E Preliminary Emancipation Proclamation, September 22, 1862
- Appendix F Final Emancipation Proclamation, January 1, 1863
- Act of Justice
- University Press of Kentucky
Kentucky Scholarship Online requires a subscription or purchase to access the full text of books within the service. Public users can however freely search the site and view the abstracts and keywords for each book and chapter.
If you think you should have access to this title, please contact your librarian.