Peter S. Carmichael, West Virginia University
Michele Gillespie, Wake Forest University
William A. Link, University of Florida
The Lost State of Franklin: America's First Secession Kevin T. Barksdale
Bluecoats and Tar Heels: Soldiers and Civilians in Reconstruction North Carolina Mark L. Bradley
Becoming Bourgeois: Merchant Culture in the South, 1820–1865 Frank J. Byrne
Lum and Abner: Rural America and the Golden Age of Radio Randal L. Hall
The View from the Ground: Experiences of Civil War Soldiers edited by Aaron Sheehan-Dean
Southern Farmers and Their Stories: Memory and Meaning in Oral History Melissa Walker
- Copyright © 2009 by The University Press of Kentucky
- Scholarly publisher for the Commonwealth,
- serving Bellarmine University, Berea College, Centre
- College of Kentucky, Eastern Kentucky University,
- The Filson Historical Society, Georgetown College,
- Kentucky Historical Society, Kentucky State University,
- Morehead State University, Murray State University,
- Northern Kentucky University, Transylvania University,
- University of Kentucky, University of Louisville,
- and Western Kentucky University.
- All rights reserved.
- Editorial and Sales Offices: The University Press of Kentucky
- 663 South Limestone Street, Lexington, Kentucky 40508-4008
- 13 12 11 10 09 1 2 3 4 5
- Library of Congress Cataloging-in-Publication Data
- Hudson, Janet G., 1959–
- Entangled by white supremacy : reform in World War I–era South
- Carolina / Janet G. Hudson.
- p. cm. — (New directions in southern history)
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- ISBN 978-0-8131-2502-2 (hardcover : alk. paper)
- 1. White supremacy movements—South Carolina—History—20th century.
- 2. South Carolina—Race relations—History—20th century. 3. South
- Carolina—Politics and government—1865–1950. 4. African
- Americans—South Carolina—Politics and government—20th century.
- 5. Whites—South Carolina—Politics and government—20th century.
- 6. Social reformers—South Carolina—History—20th century. 7. World War,
- 1914–1918—Social aspects—South Carolina. I. Title.
- F280.A1H83 2009
- This book is printed on acid-free recycled paper meeting
- the requirements of the American National Standard
- for Permanence in Paper for Printed Library Materials.
- Manufactured in the United States of America.
- Member of the Association of American University Presses