- Title Pages
- Prologue Taking on Mission Impossible
- Chapter One The Warrior as Peacemaker
- Chapter Two Military Rule by Default
- Chapter Three An Uncertain Relationship
- Chapter Four The Return of Civil Government
- Chapter Five The Struggle for Civilian Supremacy
- Chapter Six Military Reconstruction under Sickles
- Chapter Seven Military Reconstruction under Canby
- Chapter Eight North Carolina Rejoins the Union
- Chapter Nine Fighting Terrorism
- Epilogue Reconciliation with a Vengeance
- Appendix Regional and Ethnic Origins of Federal Troops in North Carolina, 1868–1870
Kentucky Scholarship Online requires a subscription or purchase to access the full text of books within the service. Public users can however freely search the site and view the abstracts and keywords for each book and chapter.
If you think you should have access to this title, please contact your librarian.