in the Twentieth Century
Steven F. Lawson, Rutgers University
Cynthia Griggs Fleming, University of Tennessee
Becoming King: Martin Luther King Jr. and the Making of a National Leader
Civil Rights in the Gateway to the South: Louisville, Kentucky, 1945–1980
Democracy Rising: South Carolina and the Fight for Black Equality since 1865
Peter F. Lau
Subversive Southerner: Anne Braden and the Struggle for Racial Justice in the Cold War South
This Little Light of Mine: The Life of Fannie Lou Hamer
- Copyright © 2009 by The University Press of Kentucky
- Scholarly publisher for the Commonwealth, serving Bellarmine University,
- Berea College, Centre College of Kentucky, Eastern Kentucky University, The
- Filson Historical Society, Georgetown College, Kentucky Historical Society,
- Kentucky State University, Morehead State University, Murray State University,
- Northern Kentucky University, Transylvania University, University of Kentucky,
- University of Louisville,
- and Western Kentucky University.
- All rights reserved.
- Editorial and Sales Offices: The University Press of Kentucky
- 663 South Limestone Street, Lexington, Kentucky 40508–4008
- 13 12 11 10 09 5 4 3 2 1
- Library of Congress Cataloging-in-Publication Data
- Catsam, Derek.
- Freedom's main line : the journey of reconciliation and the freedom rides /
- Derek Charles Catsam.
- p. cm. — (Civil rights and the struggle for Black equality in the twentieth
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- ISBN 978-0-8131-2511-4 (hardcover : alk. paper)
- 1. Freedom Rides, 1961. 2. African Americans—Civil rights—
- Southern States—History—20th century 3. African Americans—
- Segregation—Southern States—History—20th century. 4. Civil rights
- demonstrations—Southern States—History—20th century. 5. Segregation
- in transportation—Southern States—History—20th century. 6. Southern
- States—Race relations—History—20th century. I. Title.
- E185.61.C295 2008
- 323.1196’0730904—dc22 2008041540
- This book is printed on acid-free recycled paper meeting the requirements of the
- American National Standard for Permanence in Paper for Printed Library Materials.
Manufactured in the United States of America.
Member of the Association of American University Presses